To deliver the work plan of the project including providing preventative educational programmes and interventions on and individual and group basis. The successful candidate will be an experienced, dynamic and committed individual who will deliver the work plan of this project. This post involves significant work on evenings and weekends including outreach in Ennis and other areas in the wider Shannon region. This is a targeted project working with young people aged 13 to 24 years of age.
General Work Outline
- Draft plans of appropriate interventions and strategies to assist each of the young people in the target group.
- Implement agreed plan of work with the target group.
- Provide support for young people in the target group on an individual basis.
- Non formal face-to-face work, e.g. conversations, referral to other agencies, etc.
- Being available to any young person in the target group who may need your help.
- Support the progression of the young people through education, training or employment as appropriate.
- Engagement with families as appropriate.
- Delivery of Special Programmes for example Anger Management, Drugs Awareness, Health Programmes and deliver Outdoor Education programmes with a drug and alcohol free focus.
- Run Residential programmes at key times of the year i.e. end of exams, Hallowe’en, Christmas.
- Liaising with other agencies, e.g. Gardaí, Clarecare, Tusla, HSE.
- Integrating the project into the wider community structure, e.g. schools, local events, etc.
- Participating in Clare Youth Service staff and agency development programmes.
- Attend meetings of the advisory committee.
- Undertake other duties as assigned to her/him by the CEO/Manager.
- Keeping basic financial records.
- Minor fundraising and grant applications.
- Produce annual and other reports and submissions as required.
- Maintain clear records of the work with the participants including tracking sheets, application forms, referral forms, weekly time sheets, quarterly work plans with monthly reports, permission slips, photographs and newspaper clippings, etc.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- The Youth Workers will operate within the philosophy of the Clare Youth Service.
- Youth Workers at Clare Youth Service are required to work evenings and weekends as a standard part of the 38.5 hour working week.
- The position is dependent on satisfactory Garda clearance on appointment and at intervals thereafter.
- The worker should have a full driving licence as he/she will be required to use their car in the course of their work and must ensure that they have adequate insurance in place.
- E-learning Child Safeguarding Certificate must be completed prior to commencement.
The ideal candidate should have a track record of working with young people affected by drugs, alcohol or related problems. You need to be flexible in relation to hours of work to meet the needs of the young people. Work during unsocial hours will be required. You should be a good team player with excellent communication and organisational skills. You should be able to plan your work and work within agreed targets. Attention to detail, commitment to good practice and adherence to quality is essential. You should demonstrate a positive attitude and work within the ethos of Clare Youth Service.
Personal Skills Set
- Self-confident, dependable and ability to show initiative.
- Able to work unsupervised to proactively complete tasks.
- Ability to plan, record and evaluate.
- Good team player.
- Flexible with a positive work attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills, listening, written and verbal.
- Experience of working with young people affected by drugs, alcohol or related problems.
- Experience of Outreach work, Groupwork and Outdoor Education activities.
- Ability to engage the target group with a clear track record in achieving outcomes.
- Knowledge of Youth Work methodology.
- Skills in empowering others and facilitating development.
- Experience of working, volunteering or participating in Youth led activities/projects.
- Proven ability in working with youth groups.
- Ability to prepare and write reports.
- Full driver’s license and own car.
- Education to National Diploma or Degree standard preferably in youth / addiction / health promotion work.
- Paid or voluntary experience working with young people affected by drugs, alcohol or related problems.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant work experience.
Application forms and Job descriptions are available from: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested persons must complete an application form stating clearly the post being applied for. Completed application forms should be returned to the same address. Application by e-mail only. Please do not apply using the web form below.
Closing date for application is Monday October 05th 2020 4.30 p.m.
- Clare Youth Service is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity.
- Appointment is subject to Garda Vetting.
- Short listing will apply.
- Salary: Commensurate with experience.
- A panel may be formed from this process from which future sessional or part-time posts may be filled.